Log on to domain scanning :time

I was wondering if anyone using this feature would know how long does it take to scan at domain login. Also I was wondering if the initial scan would take a while but then the subsequent scans would go quick. I want to use this but also to minimally effect user login time. Anyone using this if you can help it would be great.

:)

I'm not a frequent user of this feature, so actual users are welcomed to post their comments.

But here are some hints.

Usually scan with standalone tool takes less than a minute or even about 20-30 seconds, depending on configuration, number of installed software/components and current load of PC.

Subsequent scans can go quicker only if you make then in a row by manually launching the tool again and again (this has much to do with Windows file caching and prefetching). But if the subsequent scan takes place after reboot and logon, it usually takes the same time.

User login time is almost not affected, because when you launch the tool in the following way:

start \\server\path\tniaudit.exe /scripted

it starts working in background while logon script continues its work, and if there are no commands after this one, command window disappears and normal logon process continues.

Besides, by setting the parameter "scandelay" in the tniaudit.ini file you can control the time which the program waits in background without starting the actual scan, so that various autorun programs can start without interference. It is now set in seconds, so you can set it, for example to 60 or 180 (default value, 3 minutes).

There is one known issue: while the tool is waiting for "scandelay" period and the user logs off, the program cannot terminate and "Close hanging program" window appears. So the scandelay period should not be too long. Normally users are not expected to log off immediately after logon, but everything happens. This issue will be fixed soon.

• 3 weeks later...

in my case scanning with TNI takes soo long. usually about 3-4 minutes per PC. support was not able to help. i tried on more than 15 computers. same results. still i'm scanning using the interface, not the tool, but i doubt this will change. hoped to see faster scanning in new release, but, no way.

in my case scanning with TNI takes soo long. usually about 3-4 minutes per PC. support was not able to help. i tried on more than 15 computers. same results. still i'm scanning using the interface, not the tool, but i doubt this will change. hoped to see faster scanning in new release, but, no way.

Have you tried the latest release 1.6.5 (build 1875)? There were some optimizations made and we have received feedback from users that scanning is faster with the new version.