Software Installation Count Problems

I started looking close at the software installation counts since our Microsoft licensing is coming up. I noticed several issues with what TNI was returning as a total installation count. I will list the two major ones first to see if anyone can come up with a solution.

Microsoft Exchange: TNI is showing an Exchange installation even when it is only the tools that are installed. Is there a reason it can't tell the difference between the tools and the full installation?

SQL: There were a few issues here. One, on a 64-bit Windows install, TNI is only reporting that the online Books portion is installed. This is not the case as the full version of 2005 is installed, but under the "Program Files" directory and not the "Program Files (x86)" directory. Two, TNI is showing that the full version of SQL 2005 is installed when it is the Express edition that is installed. We also get separate listings for both versions of SQL that _seem_ to be related to a database name. The name shows up as "Microsoft SQL Sever 2005 (SQLEXPRESS)", and not under another listing of "Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition". Between the full install of SQL 2005 and the Express edition, I have 9 listings of separate named installations. Also, the two 64-bit installations don't show up at all.

I can get into other similar issues if this isn't enough information. Thanks in advance for any help I can get.

Jason

Exchange: TNI is showing the software product installation exactly as it is provided in the Uninstall section of the registry. If the product installer package provide a possibility to install a product partially (only some components) and does not reflect that in the product display name, TNI cannot differentiate between such installations. It currently doesn't support scanning of MS Installer database for such situations.

SQL: As for the 64-bit versions, make sure that you have the latest version of TNI ("Help - Check for new version"). Recently we have fixed an issue when 64-bit software was not collected on 64-bit XP and 2003 Server systems (though Vista and 2008 Server worked).

We have received an email from you with more details so let's continue there.

Answers to your questions via email:

I checked the Add/Remove Programs for two servers, one showing SQL Server 2005 and the other showing SQL Server 2005 Express in TNI. Both showed SQL Server 2005 in the Add/Remove Programs. I then checked a server that I know has the full version of SQL 2005. It showed the same entry in the Add/Remove Programs. The only reference to the Express edition in there was the Management Studio. I checked the ..\Uninstall registry key for the SQL install. It was the same in both version of SQL. (This is not looking promising) =)

For the servers showing up with the name in brackets, I found a registry key that holds a MULTI_SZ value called InstalledInstances. This seems to be where it is getting the name from. On the servers not showing this name in brackets, this value is still filled in, but they seem to be more default names like SQLSERVER. But they are all different from machine to machine.

We are using version 1.6.7 (build 2580).

Also, I checked into the Exchange settings and even when you only install the Exchange tools, the Add/Remove Programs shows that MS Exchange is installed. This would explain the miscalculation.

I don't doubt that this issue seems to be related to how Microsoft handles their install process, but it still makes the reporting feature incorrect. And since we were trying to use this specifically for Microsoft licensing, this is a major problem.

I checked the Add/Remove Programs for two servers, one showing SQL Server 2005 and the other showing SQL Server 2005 Express in TNI. Both showed SQL Server 2005 in the Add/Remove Programs. I then checked a server that I know has the full version of SQL 2005. It showed the same entry in the Add/Remove Programs. The only reference to the Express edition in there was the Management Studio. I checked the ..\Uninstall registry key for the SQL install. It was the same in both version of SQL. (This is not looking promising) =)

Sorry, I'm confused. Can you please put it simpler?

For the servers showing up with the name in brackets, I found a registry key that holds a MULTI_SZ value called InstalledInstances. This seems to be where it is getting the name from. On the servers not showing this name in brackets, this value is still filled in, but they seem to be more default names like SQLSERVER. But they are all different from machine to machine.

TNI doesn't analyze this value, but probably the installer puts them to the DisplayName. I will look at the registry export files that you've sent.

We are using version 1.6.7 (build 2580).

The 64-bit software issue was fixed in the next version after 2580. The latest version now is 1.6.7 (build 2680). Please update your installation.

Also, I checked into the Exchange settings and even when you only install the Exchange tools, the Add/Remove Programs shows that MS Exchange is installed. This would explain the miscalculation.

Exactly what I meant.

I don't doubt that this issue seems to be related to how Microsoft handles their install process, but it still makes the reporting feature incorrect. And since we were trying to use this specifically for Microsoft licensing, this is a major problem.

Let me check the files, perhaps the issue could be pinpointed.

Sorry, I'm confused. Can you please put it simpler?

Basically it boiled down to the fact that both the full version of SQL 2005 and the free Express edition have the same name in Add/Remove Programs. However, the management studio portion of the software did show up as the Express edition if it was installed. I can see where it would be difficult to differentiate between the two if they had the same name.

The 64-bit software issue was fixed in the next version after 2580. The latest version now is 1.6.7 (build 2680). Please update your installation.

It is updated and I am recalculating the installations now.

Thank you for helping out. I am going to see if there is something I could change on our end to help with this too.