Tracking non-network devices

Is there currently or will there ever be the ability to track non-network devices via TNI? For example, if I needed to keep track of monitors, KVMs, or some other peripheral by adding custom records. Obviously these would be devices that you can't scan. Some companies require tracking of all IT related items.

Thanks.

It is possible to add custom records attached to specific computers: in "Options - Misc." you define custom fields, then select a computer, press "Edit", open "Custom information" and fill the necessary fields. You can also add a unique field for this particular computer there (as opposed to the common fields which are common for all computers, but may be either filled in or not filled in).

In the future versions we also plan to add possibility to define custom network devices which will be represented by separate items in the network tree and thus not connected to certain computers.

Thanks for the quick response.

I'm not sure what you mean by "network devices". Will these devices still have to support SNMP? Will you be able to add a record for a device that is not attached to a PC and that is sitting on the shelf?

For instance, I have a KVM that is on a shelf with a company bar code, manufacturer SN, make, model, etc. I would love to be able to add a record for that device indepedent of any PC. Are there any plans for anything like that?

I should say that I really like this tool and will try to purchase it within the next couple weeks as it stands right now. I would rather just keep all of our IT asset tracking in one location and this tool would be great with a couple of additions.

Thanks.

No, I didn't mean devices with SNMP support. That phrase has just stuck to a mouth :) Actually networked SNMP devices can be scanned right away. But first of all I have meant networked devices which cannot be scanned but are still on the network and have IP address (like Linux boxes or IP phones), thus can be at least pinged.

But we also plan to implement adding any devices, including those not connected to network, that probably means possibility to add virtually anything to the "network tree", even tables and chairs :)

• 1 month later...

Hello,

is there a plan, when (in which version) it will be possible to add devices manually to the inventory which are not connected to the network.

I have tested TNI and this feature will be very important for me.

regards

Alex

• 2 months later...
Hello,

are there any news for adding devices manually to the inventory. I'm very interested in this feature.

Will this be implemented in in near future or will it take longer?

regards, Alex

Hi Alex,

Well, there are some significant changes coming which we need to finish, so we can't start implementing this at once. I think this feature can appear in 1-2 months.

• 2 months later...