Total Network Inventory 2.0 beta version

We will look into this issue. Meanwhile can you try to use "Auto-deployed agent" instead of "Agent-free connection"? In "Options-Scanner" select "Auto-deployed agent" and uncheck "Try another method". Don't be afraid of this method, because the file and service that is installed on the computers is removed afterwards, besides this method generates much less network traffic. Let us know the result.

The scheduled scan will be implemented, but most likely after the final release, in one of the future updates.

yep, its getting better!,

ok, here's the deal, I think we are ready to buy TNI, but i do like the beta, is it possible to get full version of beta? because it seems the feature is limited in some way, for example during export, i see bunch of BETA VERSION???

Thanks,

ok, here's the deal, I think we are ready to buy TNI, but i do like the beta, is it possible to get full version of beta? because it seems the feature is limited in some way, for example during export, i see bunch of BETA VERSION???

When you copy or export something, some text is randomly replaces with "BETA VERSION". This is the only limitation to prevent production use, because the beta is not limited in any other way. Currently we don't have a full version of beta, but as soon as we have it, you will get it. Besides, if you purchase the current version, you will save some funds, as the prices will rise after the TNI 2.0 release, but registered customers will get a free upgrade.

When you copy or export something, some text is randomly replaces with "BETA VERSION". This is the only limitation to prevent production use, because the beta is not limited in any other way. Currently we don't have a full version of beta, but as soon as we have it, you will get it. Besides, if you purchase the current version, you will save some funds, as the prices will rise after the TNI 2.0 release, but registered customers will get a free upgrade.

well, we have bought the software today, and we desperately need the export function work on beta, how can we request this?

Thanks.

well, we have bought the software today, and we desperately need the export function work on beta, how can we request this?

Please send us a message from your corporate email so that we know which company you represent. As soon as we have the new beta with support for removing the limitations we will notify you.

Please send us a message from your corporate email so that we know which company you represent. As soon as we have the new beta with support for removing the limitations we will notify you.

ok thanks, email sent to support, waiting for answer.

- Added 1 Device, Vista SP1, scanned succesfully with agent

Hello fbrem,

Please send us the file for this computer to support@softinventive.com for analysis (right-click on the computer and select "Show in Explorer" to find the file).

2 ALL: Please do not post bug reports here (that would require us to ask for more information from you), use email for this. Use this topic for discussion of new features, functionality questions, feedbacks and suggestions.

UPD: Fixed.

Hello fbrem,

Please send us the file for this computer to support@softinventive.com for analysis (right-click on the computer and select "Show in Explorer" to find the file).

2 ALL: Please do not post bug reports here (that would require us to ask for more information from you), use email for this. Use this topic for discussion of new features, functionality questions, feedbacks and suggestions.

Hello there, sorry for the bug-report, i sendet you the file by email.

I have a functional question. In software accounting, if a software has a status like "Forbidden" or "Must-have", how can i deselect / clear the status for that software?

Cheers fbrem

I have a functional question. In software accounting, if a software has a status like "Forbidden" or "Must-have", how can i deselect / clear the status for that software?

Click on the small gray cross to the right of the "Status" word (above the "Forbidden" button).

• 2 weeks later...

On installing the new beta version and then running it at the end of the installation I get a fatal error:

Error

Cannot find import; DLL may be missing, corrupt, or wrong version

File "MSVCR90.dll", error 126

It first installed over the previous beta version, and then uninstalled to clean up, and installed again. I got the same error message both times.

Windows Serve 2003 R2

Regards

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday we have released TNI 2.0 beta 6 (build 1048). Here is the list of changes:

Added:

• Registered users of TNI 1.6 can use this beta version in production (without beta version limitations).
  • It is now possible to add custom fields and user fields to the table reports for objects other than asset.
  • Print preview and printing of table reports.
  • "Hide empty rows" option added to the "Assets x Software" report to allow cleaner reports.

Improved:

• Forbidden and must-have software renamed to tracking of presence and absence.
  • Export performance for huge table reports.
  • "Storage" mode tab merged with "Edit" mode tab.
  • Software versions are enclosed in parentheses during report export in Software accounting.
  • Software accounting filters.
  • Connection method settings for Windows computers.

Fixed:

• Some errors and percentage output during SSH scan.
  • MSVCR90.dll issue.
  • GUI issues in Windows 7 with increased size of window elements.
  • Non-english text copying issue.

Many other fixes and improvements.

I had sent a 'enhancement' request in via the TNI v2 beta for this, but I'm wondering how others might handle this issue. (I also can't believe I just now thought of this! Too busy doing limited testing to run across the problem I guess, but regardless, this issue is staring me full in the face now!)

With TNI v2, the asset file names are in the format of "computer name_mac address". Previously in v1.6.8, it was simply "computer name".

We have thousands of computers, and they are constantly replaced with new ones, existing ones get shuffled down to other users, or motherboards get replaced to fix hardware problems, etc.

The computer name for each user never changes though. Thus, if a user gets a new computer to replace an old one, the new computer will get named with the same name as the old one. (The old one is either surplused or shuffled down to someone else and in turn gets renamed for that other user.) We have a strict naming scheme for our computers to identify the town, office, and phone number for user to make it easy for all our techs to identify this info at a glance just by looking at the computer name.

This creates an pretty big issue with duplicate, and incorrect data, for literally hundreds, and eventually thousands of asset records in TNI v2. This occurs because when a new comptuer gets put in with the old name, it obviously has a "different" mac address, thus the name of the asset file reflects this, but the old file names for the previous computers still exist, thus we now have duplicate records for the same user, which gives us incorrect data in every report. (Anytime the NIC gets changed, the resulting file name will be different, creating duplicate and incorrect data.)

Am I missing something obvious on how to reconcile this problem? How are others out there dealing with this problem? Is there a way to "combine" these two different file names into a single asset record? Or is there a way to have TNI use the file naming scheme used in v1.6.8? If the files were named just with the 'computer name', this problem never occured, but now with the new naming scheme in v2, we think our data is going to be significantly flawed. Or maybe the file names can be stored as "computer name_FQDN", such as 'computer.my.domain.com"? Since our domain name is the same, this wouldn't create a new file just because of a hardware change.

We have too many computers to even begin to try and 'manually' clean out the thousands of old duplicate records we are going to end up with due to the naming of the files. There are simply too many new computers getting installed, too many shuffle downs, and too many motherboards/NIC getting replaced, so I really hope there is some way to deal with this in v2, as this is a potential game breaker for us!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hello support, i have tested the beta, but i have troubles with scanning my domain controllers, and a linux CentOs.

In the image that i attached you can see in first position my domain controller after 15 minutes of scanning, it stays in scanning software status on 65%.

I have another domain controller that have the same troubles that my first domain controller.

In the TNI application with version 1.6.8, i don't have the troubles with domain controllers, in that version my two domain controllers are scanned in seconds.

This issue was finally fixed in the latest version 2.0.1.

In the second position you can see a linux version: "Linux lcalp-tropos 2.6.9-55.ELsmp #1 SMP Wed May 2 14:28:44 EDT 2007 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux", that have troubles to do the scanning.

Do you still have troubles with scanning these Linux systems with the latest version? If so, please send us an email.

I can't even get the latest beta to work on several systems...

it fires up, asks me for my storage location and it shuts down...this is happening on my windows XP and Windows 7 systems...

am I missing something, suggestions? previous betas worked.

Hi Thrashie,

Do you experience the same with the latest update (2.0.1 build 1078)? If so, please send us an email.

I had sent a 'enhancement' request in via the TNI v2 beta for this, but I'm wondering how others might handle this issue. (I also can't believe I just now thought of this! Too busy doing limited testing to run across the problem I guess, but regardless, this issue is staring me full in the face now!)

Hi Hemo2,

We are still working on this issue, please give us some more time. We need to discuss the possibilities again here.