Total Network Inventory 2.0 beta version

Today we are ready to extend Total Network Inventory 2.0 beta testing, so we welcome new potential TNI users as well as our current version users to take part in this testing.

The program offers a possibility to send feedbacks using an integrated form, however you can leave your comments right here. We look forward to hearing from you.

TNI 2.0 beta is available for download.

Major highlights of Total Network Inventory 2.0:

- Completely redesigned interface.

- Improved reporting features.

- Advanced network scanner with AD support.

- Compressed data storage.

- Mac OS X and Linux support.

- Advanced software accounting.

P.S. Please do not post bug reports here (that would require us to ask for more information from you), use email for this. Use this topic for discussion of new features, functionality questions, feedbacks and suggestions.

TNI2_beta.png

Hello dear support.

Excuse me, because my english is not very good.

We tested the TNI 1.6.8 and it's a great tool, and we are interested in buy the software.

Now, we are testing the TNI2 beta. But we have problems with the scan of the domain controllers, it stay in the status "scanning software", never finish.

Until now, this is the only bug that i founded in this version.

Thank you.

post-4031-130084169793_thumb.jpg

Hello dear support.

While i was testing the TNI2 beta, i detected the follow error:

In 2 servers with the follow linux version, the software have problems:

* Linux {nombre de servidor} 2.6.9-55.ELsmp #1 SMP Fri Apr 20 17:03:35 EDT 2007 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

But, in 1 server with the follow linux version, the software works great:

* Linux {nombre de servidor} 2.6.18-92.el5 #1 SMP Tue Apr 29 13:16:12 EDT 2008 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

I attach the error in an image.

Thank you.

post-4031-130101072636_thumb.jpg

Hello Martin,

Now, we are testing the TNI2 beta. But we have problems with the scan of the domain controllers, it stay in the status "scanning software", never finish.

We have sent you an e-mail with some instructions, as we would require some help from your to remedy this problem.

In 2 servers with the follow linux version, the software have problems:

* Linux {nombre de servidor} 2.6.9-55.ELsmp #1 SMP Fri Apr 20 17:03:35 EDT 2007 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

As far as we can see, this is Red Hat EL4. We will test the scanned on this version and see what can be done.

how to import data from old version?

Open the storage folder (right click the root group - "Show in Explorer") and copy the XML files from the old version into that folder. The program can be closed or running, no matter. It will detect the new files automatically and convert them to the new format.

we have much custom fields and i dont want to write them all new.

Custom fields will also be converted, however in this case all common custom fields will become special custom fields (specific to this computer only). The release version will have a possibility to convert the whole storage to the new format, in this case the common fields will be kept common.

I noticed with the previous beta's and now the latest of v2.0.0.975 (Mar 17, 2011) that the below computers are incorrectly logged as "Windows desktop" computers, when in fact they should be listed as "Windows laptops". I believe the CPU info is used for determining whether a device is logged as a desktop or laptop, so I have included that information below.

HP EliteBook 2530p laptop

CPU: Intel Core2 Duo CPU L9400 @ 1.86GHz

HP EliteBook 2540p laptop

CPU: Intel Core i7 CPU L 640 @ 2.13GHz

HP EliteBook 2730p tablet

CPU: Intel Core2 Duo CPU L9400 @ 1.86GHz

HP EliteBook 2730p tablet

CPU: Intel Core2 Duo CPU L9300 @ 1.60GHz

HP EliteBook 8540p laptop

CPU: Intel Core i7 CPU Q 820 @ 1.73GHz

I noticed with the previous beta's and now the latest of v2.0.0.975 (Mar 17, 2011) that the below computers are incorrectly logged as "Windows desktop" computers, when in fact they should be listed as "Windows laptops". I believe the CPU info is used for determining whether a device is logged as a desktop or laptop, so I have included that information below.

Thanks, Hemo2, you have already sent some of them by e-mail, but here we have one new model also. Thanks again.

Hi, I am testing out the TNI 2 beta as well, and I like what I see so far, but I have a question.

I manage multiple domains, each with different administrator accounts and passwords. In TNI 1.6, there is the ability to enter in login credentials before I do a scan of the pc's on that domain. I am so far unable to find that ability in TNI 2, is there something that I have missed or is that not implemented yet?

Thank you,

Chris

I manage multiple domains, each with different administrator accounts and passwords. In TNI 1.6, there is the ability to enter in login credentials before I do a scan of the pc's on that domain. I am so far unable to find that ability in TNI 2, is there something that I have missed or is that not implemented yet?

Hi Chris,

In TNI 1.6 there is a possibility to enter only one login credentials for the current scan. But in TNI 2.0 you can enter as many as necessary, for example one for each of your domains. This is done in "Storage - Logins". Then in the Scanner tab you have three columns for logins for each of the supported protocols (Windows, SSH and SNMP). Add a domain, click on the arrow button in the Windows column and select the appropriate login from the dropdown menu. You can add multiple domains at once and specify different logins for each of them. It is also possible to specify more than one login for each protocol and each scan task (this may be useful in a workgroup or mixed environment).

You can also add logins right from the same dropdown menu in the Scanner mode by clicking the "(+) Add" button.

I've just seem something similar. The Domain Controller never finished, and at the bottom of the Scanner screen had a message saying something like "Installing Service". Eventually I interrupted the scan as it appeared to have stalled.

Keeping issues seperate...

During the scan of the domain, several custom services on other computers on the domain stopped. It's possible that this was just a coincidence, but seems more likely that running the TNI 2 scan caused them to stop. I'll try this again when it won't have a critical effect on what those computers are doing, and I'll report back if I get the same stopping of some services.

Minor text issues...

In Options, General, the text for the single check box control starts with a question mark '?' instead of a capital 'C' - Language is English.

The language options for Russian and Ukranian also just show a series of question marks.

Windows Server 2003 SP2

hello,

i got a problem, with limitation of 2 GB of memory for windows process. i run for more than 1000 device and yet TNI 2, is crashed often.

it seems, scheduled scan is not yet implemented?

if i buy 1.6.8 version now, can i use TNI 2 without additional fees?

thanks,

mik

I've just seem something similar. The Domain Controller never finished, and at the bottom of the Scanner screen had a message saying something like "Installing Service". Eventually I interrupted the scan as it appeared to have stalled.

Mike,

Thanks for reporting this. We are going to update the beta-version in a few days and we will contact you after this and ask you to make some tests with this updated beta if possible.

During the scan of the domain, several custom services on other computers on the domain stopped. It's possible that this was just a coincidence, but seems more likely that running the TNI 2 scan caused them to stop. I'll try this again when it won't have a critical effect on what those computers are doing, and I'll report back if I get the same stopping of some services.

We are looking forward to your feedback on this issue.

Minor text issues...

In Options, General, the text for the single check box control starts with a question mark '?' instead of a capital 'C' - Language is English.

The language options for Russian and Ukranian also just show a series of question marks.

Windows Server 2003 SP2

Both issues were already fixed, and the fix will be applied in the next update of the beta version.

UPD: These issues are fixed in beta 5 (build 1052) released on April 27.

i got a problem, with limitation of 2 GB of memory for windows process. i run for more than 1000 device and yet TNI 2, is crashed often.

Thanks, we will look into this.

it seems, scheduled scan is not yet implemented?

No, not yet.

if i buy 1.6.8 version now, can i use TNI 2 without additional fees?

Yes, upgrade to TNI 2.0 will be free for registered users.

i have also multi domain environment, and when i test, the multi login is not executed. it's always use the first/one of the login info i provide.

Do you mean the scan of computers or connecting to the domain controller and browsing the domain? Can you please send a couple of screenshots (before you click "Start scan" and after it)? You can do this by email.

Yesterday we have released TNI 2.0 beta 5 (build 1025). Here is the list of changes:

Added:

• User information fields in the table reports.
  • Scanning of Program Files and Program Files (x86) on 64-bit systems.
  • Settings for the limitation of maximum number of snapshots and maximum snapshot age ("Options - Scanner").
  • Logins can be edited right from the popup menu in the Scanner.
  • Main menu items for managing storages.
  • Network tree popup menu items "Import" (for importing INV and XML files) and "Reload" (for reloading current storage).
  • Dropdown buttons on "Storage" and "Edit" tabs for quick selection of required submode.
  • New network tree display options (domains, descriptions, user names, etc).
  • German, Spanish and Italian localization.

Improved:

• Stability and reliability of the SSH scan (Macs and Linuxes).
  • Software accounting improved, simplified and fixed; software filters moved to the main toolbar; software properties moved to the sidebar.
  • Many small things in the Scanner mode.
  • New look & feel for the main toolbar, print preview, report refresh hint, report progress animation and search.
  • New look & feel for logins, custom fields, snapshots and users editing.
  • More detailed scan percentage when scanning Windows computers.
  • Windows agent saves snapshots of the same computer to different files, while importing of snapshots to one file is fully delegated to the main module.

Fixed:

• Logic of assigning logins to scan tasks (one login for single tasks, multiple logins for group tasks). Inheritance of logins is displayed with a tilde.
  • Reporting of processes memory usage.
  • Processing of disks with unspecified size on thin clients.
  • Western European characters display in many places.
  • "Skip existing devices" option.
  • "No open ports" error.

Many other fixes and improvements.

What we would like to be mostly tested by you, current and prospective users of TNI, is software accounting and scanner (Mac OS X and Linux scan, Active Directory scan), but all other feedbacks are also welcomed.

currently i am testing new beta.

i found zombie host as attached, i can't delete this host.

Open the folder that's containing this host (right-click the folder and select "Show in Explorer") and find and unusually small INV file in it (or it may have empty name with extension only or something like that) and delete it manually.

Hello support, i have tested the beta, but i have troubles with scanning my domain controllers, and a linux CentOs.

In the image that i attached you can see in first position my domain controller after 15 minutes of scanning, it stays in scanning software status on 65%.

In the second position you can see a linux version: "Linux lcalp-tropos 2.6.9-55.ELsmp #1 SMP Wed May 2 14:28:44 EDT 2007 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux", that have troubles to do the scanning.

I have another domain controller that have the same troubles that my first domain controller.

In the TNI application with version 1.6.8, i don't have the troubles with domain controllers, in that version my two domain controllers are scanned in seconds.

Thank you.

In the next weeks my company will buy the full version of TNI, and we need that the software works correctly.

I attach the image.

post-1-130466945504_thumb.jpg

Open the folder that's containing this host (right-click the folder and select "Show in Explorer") and find and unusually small INV file in it (or it may have empty name with extension only or something like that) and delete it manually.

it's ok now. but i have another issue, out of memory, as attached.

i wonder if scheduled scan will be implemented when version 2.0 is officially out. this is a must have for us, since logon script is not an option for us.

thanks.

mik

post-4060-130456495134_thumb.png

Hello Martin,

In the image that i attached you can see in first position my domain controller after 15 minutes of scanning, it stays in scanning software status on 65%.

In the second position you can see a linux version: "Linux lcalp-tropos 2.6.9-55.ELsmp #1 SMP Wed May 2 14:28:44 EDT 2007 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux", that have troubles to do the scanning.

We have contacted you by email concerning these two issues. Please reply by email.

UPD: First issue fixed in 2.0.1. Second issue status unknown.

it's ok now. but i have another issue, out of memory, as attached.

We will look into this issue. Meanwhile can you try to use "Auto-deployed agent" instead of "Agent-free connection"? In "Options-Scanner" select "Auto-deployed agent" and uncheck "Try another method". Don't be afraid of this method, because the file and service that is installed on the computers is removed afterwards, besides this method generates much less network traffic. Let us know the result.

i wonder if scheduled scan will be implemented when version 2.0 is officially out. this is a must have for us, since logon script is not an option for us.

The scheduled scan will be implemented, but most likely after the final release, in one of the future updates.