Windows 7 and Office 2010

Zak, we have begun our migration from XP to Windows 7. (We have over 8,000 workstations.) As part of this, we're upgrading our antivirus product from Symantec AntiVirus to Symantec EndPoint Protection.

I know the current version of TNI doesn't report the Symantec EndPoint Protection correctly under Windows 7. This topic was brought up to me and I thought I'd ask that since it appears the next version of TNI is a way off from being released, if there's any possibility that the current version can be updated to properly report the status of SEP under the Windows 7 operating system?

Also, I had a question about the "Windows 7 Ready" item in the custom report and what hardware minimums the program is using to base the "Yes" or "No" answer on. Can you tell me what TNI uses for the hardware requirements to report on this? Also, is there anyway we can specify our own requirements for TNI to use to base its' answer to this on?

As a side note, we're upgrading from Office XP to Office 2010 as part of this. If I recall, TNI doesn't report the product key for Office 2010. This isn't such a big deal for us since we are using the "KMS Licensing" model for licensing our Office 2010. I guess I'm just curious how the next version of TNI will report the licensing or product key for Office 2010 when you are using a KMS license server, and don't actually have a product key code entered in.

Thanks.

On 6/25/2010 at 5:26 PM, Hemo2 said:

I know the current version of TNI doesn't report the Symantec EndPoint Protection correctly under Windows 7. This topic was brought up to me and I thought I'd ask that since it appears the next version of TNI is a way off from being released, if there's any possibility that the current version can be updated to properly report the status of SEP under the Windows 7 operating system?

This was true for TNI 1.6.7, but it should not be the case with TNI 1.6.8. We have added direct support for detection of antiviruses under Vista SP1+ and Windows 7. If you already have a computer with Windows 7 and SEP installed, scan it with the current (1.6.8) version. Make sure that the "Client version" in the "General information" lists "1.6.8.2800" for this computer.

Also, I had a question about the "Windows 7 Ready" item in the custom report and what hardware minimums the program is using to base the "Yes" or "No" answer on. Can you tell me what TNI uses for the hardware requirements to report on this? Also, is there anyway we can specify our own requirements for TNI to use to base its' answer to this on?

TNI uses official Microsoft minimal requirements for CPU, RAM and HDD available here. (DirectX 9 graphics device is not checked). Unfortunately it's not possible to change the requirements. In the next version it will be possible to add your own filters for different values.

As a side note, we're upgrading from Office XP to Office 2010 as part of this. If I recall, TNI doesn't report the product key for Office 2010. This isn't such a big deal for us since we are using the "KMS Licensing" model for licensing our Office 2010. I guess I'm just curious how the next version of TNI will report the licensing or product key for Office 2010 when you are using a KMS license server, and don't actually have a product key code entered in.

TNI cannot report KMS or MAK keys, and I'm not sure about when (and if) it will be able to. The next version will provide a possibility to enter license keys manually. However if Office 2010 was activated in a regular way, TNI should collect the license key, though I have not checked this myself yet.

Thanks for the reply. I think the confusion on SEP was on our part. We had someone create a custom report with the 'antivirus version' field as the only field for AV stuff. With Vista/Win7, Microsoft apparently doesn't report back this info to the security center anymore, thus it appeared that TNI was showing nothing. Adding the 'antivirus name' and 'antivirus status' does show info for SEP however.

It would be nice if the AV version could somehow be included in this report though, but I think I understand why it isn't and where the confusion on our part came.

You're right, Microsoft has changed the namespace for security products (antiviruses, firewalls, antispyware) to report their information to the operating system and other software (including ours) in Windows Vista/7. The old namespace included fields like company name and version number which are not available in the new namespace anymore, so there is no place for us to get this information. The only way is if an antivirus includes its version with its name (though it's usually no version at all or just major version there).