tniaudit.exe hanging on system shutdown or reboot

Hello,

I have TNI running as part of the logon script and it seems to be running perfectly.

The problem is when a machine is rebooted or shut down.

The TNI.exe hangs and reports as not responding.

Since this is running remotely without the logged on user being aware of it's presence, we want to minimize this concern.

Can you offer a reason and solution to this issue?

Many thanks,

Marianne

Hello,

Do you talk about logon script scan (user machine is rebooted right after logon while "tniaudit.exe" is running) or do you talk about remote online scan (user machine is rebooted while being scanned remotely)? Please clarify.

I am not referring to either of those scenarios.

Logon script runs after user authenticates to the network.

Then any time after that......either at end of day or another time during the day......user restarts or shuts down and receives "TNI.exe is not responding".

I don't understand why the service is still running.

I thought the service initiated with the logon script and then ended itself once the information was copied to the folder for TNI reports.

I am not referring to either of those scenarios.

But from your last post I understand that we are actually talking about the first scenario (approximately), but with a little bit of misunderstanding.

Logon script runs after user authenticates to the network.

Then any time after that......either at end of day or another time during the day......user restarts or shuts down and receives "TNI.exe is not responding".

"tni.exe" does not run on user machines at all, it is the main administrator module (console). It is "tniaudit.exe" that runs on client machines as audit agent after authenticating to the domain. That's why I was confused a little by your first message.

If it is still in memory after a whole day, it means that either it is stucked with scan (very unlikely), or something is wrong with settings. First of all, please check that you are using the latest "tniaudit.exe" in the shared folder for the user computers (should be version 1.6.7.2750). If not, install the latest version from the web-site and update this module manually. Then, check the file "tniaudit.ini" that should reside in the same shared folder. Pay attention to the parameter "scandelay". It should be either zero, or something around 180-300 (number of seconds to wait before starting the actual scan, in order to allow other autorun applications to start without interference). If that doesn't help, run the "tniaudit.exe" with parameter "/scripted" manually on some of the computers (with "scandelay=0" in the INI file) and see whether it starts the scan (it should utilize some CPU resources) and whether it disappears from the process list in some time.

I don't understand why the service is still running.

I thought the service initiated with the logon script and then ended itself once the information was copied to the folder for TNI reports.

Logon script scan doesn't use any services at all. "tniaudit.exe" is a simple application, not service, that is launched during the logon process. Really, when it finishes the scan and saves the information it should stop and exit.

• 1 month later...

I'm in the same situation. Running the latest version and calling it from logonscript with the /scriped option but it hangs on PCs. User logs on in the morning 8am and when shutting PC down 5pm the tniaudit.exe hangs and we have to end task.

Check the spelling of the command-line parameter - it should be "/scripted" (from "script").

Also check the file "tniaudit.ini", what is the value of "scandelay" parameter? Set it to zero for testing.

Does it happen on all computers or some specific ones?

• 2 months later...

Hi,

In my logon script I call the script

"%logonserver%\netlogon\tniaudit.exe" /scripted

Here are the contects of my tni file

[TNIAUDIT]

scandelay=120

savepath=\\fileserver\PCAudit

defaultipoption=0

compressscandata=0

usedipaddress=

[inventory]

General information=1

Processor details=1

Motherboard details=1

System memory=1

###### system=1

Storage details=1

Multimedia details=1

Network adapters=1

Peripheral devices=1

Modems=1

Devices=1

OS information=1

Hotfixes=1

Installed software=1

Program files=1

Autorun applications=1

Database engines=1

Environment=1

Shared resources=1

Processes=1

Services=1

User accounts=1

Security=1

Win32_Product=0

The problem happens on some computers. Everytime I shut the PC down quicker than 3mins of it been switched on I get the tniaudit.exe is not responding error, I presume this is due to the scan still running, but is there anyway windows could fource it to end without brining up the end task box?

Also the end task issue happens on some pcs that have been switched on all day when shutting them down.