Error after updating to build 2680

I updated to the latest release (1.6.7 build 2680) you gave me that updated the Software installation counts. Now, whenever I start the program I get the following error:

Access violation at address 007AB7C8 in module 'tni.exe'. Read of address 00000008.

Then when I close TNI, I get a window that says, 'Range check error."

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the software. I still get the error even when I run the original version (1.6.7 build 2750) I had. Only by removing the C:\Program Files\Total Network Inventory folder was I able to make the error go away. The problem did not return after I ran the update either. The only items left in that folder after an uninstall are the event.log file, the config.ini file, and the Data folder containing the groups and software .DAT files.

I could get the error to return by changing where the Audit Agent and Storage folders are located. Once I point them back to where my .XML data was being stored, the error returned. So this looks like something in that data is not meshing with any versions I have.

I am getting no errors in the event log, but this could be because the program itself does not crash. But it is unusable due to the errors.

Any suggestions?

Jason

Jason,

Please clarify a bit: if you install the latest version (2750) to an empty folder, and upon running it asks for the location of data folder, and you select your previous data folder where all XML files are, does the error appear again? Does it appear also if you install the version 2680 to an empty folder and select the same data folder?

Unfortunately we could not recreate the problem. Could you please send us your data folder for analysis? Please compress it with maximum compression with some archiver and send to "support@softinventive.com".

Jason,

Please clarify a bit: if you install the latest version (2750) to an empty folder, and upon running it asks for the location of data folder, and you select your previous data folder where all XML files are, does the error appear again? Does it appear also if you install the version 2680 to an empty folder and select the same data folder?

Unfortunately we could not recreate the problem. Could you please send us your data folder for analysis? Please compress it with maximum compression with some archiver and send to "support@softinventive.com".

Yes, if the latest version (2750) was installed, after a removal of the program, when I selected the original data folder I would get the same error. The same issue would happen if I installed the prior version (2680) and then selected the original data folder. I 'fixed' the issue by installing version 2750 and just manually rescanning the domains. I will get the old Data folder zipped and emailed as soon as I can. Thanks again for your help.

Jason

• 5 months later...

Got the same problem under Windows 7 Corporate Edition on TNI ver. 1.6.7.2750. There was previous version installed, and after installing (not updating) a new one into the same folder the program does not run anymore. I tried to remove, clear the program folder from any files and install again to an emty folder - doesn't run. Is there any way to reset data folder to another path or reset options at all without starting the tni.exe?

Installing a new version into the same folder is updating exactly. There is no other specific updating process.

To reset the options it's necessary to close the program and delete "config.ini" file which is located (in Windows 7) in the "Compatibility files" folder for the program's installation folder, which can be for example:

:\Users\\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Total Network Inventory

Or you can just change the parameter "datapath" in this INI file.

I'm sorry, that was my local system failure. After the next windows update my system fell down into unbootable state, it's boot recovery system was used automatically and a previous system state was restored. I have a precious run of Total Network Inventory 1.6.7.2750 under my 32-bit version of Windows 7 Enterprise after the reboot. Neither reinstall was needed again nor options reset. I'm still wondering what was happened.

Thank you for your answer.