New version released (1.6.7)

The new version of Total Network Inventory 1.6.7 (build 2202) has been released. Here is the list of updates:

Added: New custom report fields 'Number of adapters' and 'Number of monitors' in 'General information' section.

Helpful to get overview of multimonitor systems, see which systems are capable to use second monitor but use only one, etc.

Added: New custom report fields 'Group' and 'Path' for output of the computer location in the virtual network tree.

If you have created a tree structure that represents geographical location or departments, include these fields to the report to see where each computer is located.

Added: New tabular detailed reports - network adapters, printers and four reports on computer storage system.

Information that was not available in tabular view earlier.

Added: Many handy keyboard shortcuts which are specified on the corresponding menu points.

Save time on everyday actions.

Improved: Running program is activated from tray or taskbar when it is started second time.

In case you have minimized it to tray and forgotten.

Improved: The measurement units are moved to the column headers in tabular detailed reports (allows proper sorting).

Now, for example, hard disk drives can be sorted by capacity, ascending or descending, from under 10 GB to over 1 TB correctly, which was not possible when data was sorted as text.

Improved: Categories panel redrawing performance.

The slowest part of the interface (when resizing or moving the window) was rewritten from scratch.

Other minor fixes and improvements.

It can be downloaded here: https://www.softinventive.com/downloads/tni-update.exe

Feel free to post your comments on this version here.

• 4 weeks later...
When do you plan on adding the ability to rename a computer scan from within the interface? (for when computer names get changed)

I think it will be possible in version 1.7.0. We are going to release it in a month. This possibility is tightly connected with internal structure and algorithms, so it's not as easy as it can seem.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately it took us much longer than expected. However 1.7.0 is now in active development. ETA is about 2-3 months.

One thing I noticed is that if you are scanning multiple subnets and you have the same computer name on different subnets TNI doesn't appear to be able to handle that. It will scan the duplicate name (even though it has a completely different IP address) and then overwrite the originally scanned PC on the other subnet. Any way to dodge this? For example, I have a lot of clients that seem to like to calls their server "SERVER" so the old record is getting overwritten all the time, even though the subnet is different and the domain name is different.

Also, any idea on Windows 7? The programs seems to install fine but never appears to launch. The compatibility modes in Windows 7 do not seem to make a difference either. Unfortunately, the lack of hardware support means I can not run this on XP Virtual Mode. In addition, worked great on my Vista machine.

One thing I noticed is that if you are scanning multiple subnets and you have the same computer name on different subnets TNI doesn't appear to be able to handle that. It will scan the duplicate name (even though it has a completely different IP address) and then overwrite the originally scanned PC on the other subnet. Any way to dodge this? For example, I have a lot of clients that seem to like to calls their server "SERVER" so the old record is getting overwritten all the time, even though the subnet is different and the domain name is different.

Unfortunately it was designed to keep all files in one folder and name them only by the computer name, because it's not possible (or at least no sense) to have computers with the same name on the same subnet. So the result is overwriting the files. The only possible way to workaround this at the moment is keeping the scan results from different networks in different data folders and switching between them as necessary. The next version will be free of this issue, as it will keep the files in different folders and file names will include MAC address.

Also, any idea on Windows 7? The programs seems to install fine but never appears to launch. The compatibility modes in Windows 7 do not seem to make a difference either. Unfortunately, the lack of hardware support means I can not run this on XP Virtual Mode. In addition, worked great on my Vista machine.

It is strange, because it works (or worked) fine on all copies of Windows 7 available to us - betas, RC1 and RTM (Business and Ultimate).

• 2 months later...

This software looks very promising and I'm going through an eval right now but one thing I really need is the ability to see all computers with a given piece of software and the ability to export it. Do you have any idea when this feature will be added?

Open the report "Reports - [Tabular reports] - Software reports - Software and licenses", right-click the necessary software title and select "Show/Copy computers which have this software". This is a temporary solution, the next version will have this possibility in the form of normal tabular report (instead of message box or just copying to the clipboard).

Yes, I have seen that. Ideally you would be presented with an inventory list of software, you choose an install you want details on and it brings you up a list of all computers with that software installed. I will have to be patient I guess but it's a show stopper for me if it's going to be too long. Any idea on a time frame?

Ideally you would be presented with an inventory list of software, you choose an install you want details on and it brings you up a list of all computers with that software installed.

It is exactly what it does at the moment, just in not so pretty visual form.

I will have to be patient I guess but it's a show stopper for me if it's going to be too long. Any idea on a time frame?

The new version is currently under active development and is approaching its final stage. My estimate would be a couple of months.

• Admin changed the title to New version released (1.6.7)