Transfer of scanned data fails

Hi everyone,

we just bought your software after some time testing. TNI and TSD worked great during trial period.

Since I've entered the license key, I can't scan any nodes (at least it feels like since that day ;))

TNI connects to the node and scanns it. I can follow that process using the progressbar. At 95%, it stops for a while saying "Finishing scan". After some time it turns red and tells me, that this scan failed due to something like "SMB: system can't find that path; RPC: RPC-server not available".

I checked and (first added some rules, then) disabled both, firewall and antivirus on my machine and the node. Still the same outcome. My machine is running Win10, local nodes either Win10 or Win7. Does not make any difference.

Further, I (re)started some services like the RPC service.

Am I correct that the scan itself is completed but sending back the data fails? If so, why? And, why did it work before ;)

Seems like I'm now stuck without your help. But I'm certain you guys will help me fix it pretty fast ;)

Cheers,

-D

Hi dawi,

Thanks for your message.

Please send us a screenshot of the scanning error, if possible.

Let us know what scanning task you are using in this case. Are you adding this device to the scanner using its network name or IP address? Try both methods.

Hi Alex,

thank you for your fast response. I played around for quite a while. Meanwhile, I got it to work on some clients. I don't know what I changed. Actually, on some I did not do anything. But still, I can't get it to work on some Win10 clients. Even with fully diabled firewall, correct credentials (I can evnen log onto that client using that exact same credentials), I can't scan that node. Now, it does not even scan at all.

That german part sais "SMB: Access denied; RPC: RPS-Server not available".

There is no further message in scanner's log.

I added the node via:

IP

Hostname

In node list: right click -> rescan

Thanks,

-D

That's strange. Usually this problem can be solved by following the recommendations in our FAQ:
https://docs.softinventive.com/tni/faq/scan-questions/#Access-is-denied

Try enabling the File and Printer Sharing exception in the Windows Firewall (usually there is no need in disabling it completely).

To find out if the remote computer can be scanned with TNI, check the following using the same credentials as you specified in TNI:

- is it possible to open \\computername\admin$ folder in File Explorer (to access the admin$ folder on the other computer)?
- is it possible to access "computername" from the services.msc (right-click - Connect to another computer)?

Hi Alex,

Try enabling the File and Printer Sharing exception in the Windows Firewall (usually there is no need in disabling it completely).

I even disabled the whole firewall for testing. No changes.

- is it possible to open \\computername\admin$ folder in File Explorer (to access the admin$ folder on the other computer)?

Yes, with given credentials of the domain-admin, I can access this path, on every node (ok, I only checked 3 ;-)), even the one I'm keep getting errors in TNI.

- is it possible to access "computername" from the services.msc (right-click - Connect to another computer)?

I can. Using cmd's runas.exe -> cmd -> services.msc with the domain admin credentials, even on the node I'm keep getting errors in TNI.

Actually, now it comes down to something like 2 oder 3 nodes having issues like described before. Strange, as they actually have the same settings, at least as far as I can tell..

EDIT:

Meanwhile, after running some scans, nearly every node-scan fails with a message like"SMB: path not found, RPC server not available".. No change to any config has been made.

Actually, the only thing that comes into my mind is the default gateway. but it will only filter things like http-rules.

I reduced the amount of scanns quite a bit and it got better. scanning itself works in most cases. I encountered a problem using software deploy where (despite having the correct credentials and open ports and services) it told me "access denied".  I did manage to solve this using runas.exe /user:XY tsd.exe. Doing so and with the domain-administrator credentials, it worked perfectly. Thank you!

The “Not enough space” problem may occur if a lot of computers are scanned via the RPC protocol.

Try to check the "Disable the RPC protocol for scanning of Windows computers" option in the "Options - Scanner" window to avoid this problem.

Alternatively, you can scan your network partially, then restart the program to avoid this error.

You can modify the scanning settings to speed up the scanning process. In Options - Scanner you can increase the number of threads for scanning, network discovery and port scanning. You'll be able to scan more devices simultaneously.

Please note that this will increase the load on your network.

• 2 weeks later...