Access Violation Error

Hi,

Thanks for your message.

1. Please try reinstalling Total Network Inventory first. We have updated (replaced) a few files in the latest build, so you’ll need to download the latest version using this link:
http://www.softinventive.com/downloads/tni-setup.exe

2. Please check if there are any Nmap processes in Process Explorer after you perform the scan. If yes, try installing Total Network Inventory without Nmap (uncheck Nmap on the component selection page during the installation).

3. If the problem persists, contact us at support@softinventive.com We’ll send you a file that can generate error reports when such crashes occur. We need these reports to analyze and fix the problem.

can i reinstall without having issues with license? like i just download latest and start install? or need to uninstall first and then install?

Just today i got error: invalid pointer

Yes, you can reinstall the program without having any license issues. There is no need to uninstall the program in this case.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, do you have any information yet? 

We are facing the same problem for weeks. 

At first the access violation error only appeared while searching the store.

Since today the error is immediatley after starting TNI. So it isn't working any more at all. 

Hi, do you have any information yet? 

We are facing the same problem for weeks. 

At first the access violation error only appeared while searching the store.

Since today the error is immediatley after starting TNI. So it isn't working any more at all. 

Hi,

The source of the error is related to the "Assigned users (full names)" field. TNI stopped starting when this field was chosen to be displayed in the Network tree. A temporary solution was found and emailed to you. This problem should be fixed in the next update.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Repeating crash:
- end tni.exe
- wait 30 sec
- move *.inv to datastore (c:\temp\*.inv > C:\Users\Mark\Documents\TNI\)
- run tni.exe
- in the dialog box you can see the "Clieck here or press F5 to update report"
- crashes randomly and infinitely displays:

Accesss violation at adress 00E6E602 in module tni.exe. Read of adress 0000004C.
Accesss violation at adress 00E6E602 in module tni.exe. Read of adress 0000004C.

Memory: 4GB
Virtualization: VMware ESX 5.5
Installed programs:
  Total Network Inventory 3.3.0 (build 2267)
  Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.4148
  Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.6161
  Microsoft Visual C++ 2010  x86 Redistributable - 10.0.40219
  - antvirus: no
  - firewall: no
  - other app: no

Dear Stanley,

Thanks for your message.

Please check if the same problem occurs when you import the *.inv files using the program interface (Storage-Import files…).
It seems that if you move the INV files manually and then quickly refresh the report page while the new files are being processed in your storage, the program crashes. We have reported this behavior to the development team.

I tried this:
- "Storage > Import > selected file 1" = no problem
- "Storage > Import > 2 selected files at once" = no problem
- "Storage > Import > Folder (contains 2 files) '= no problem

The error occurs only with me when I copy files to the Datastore.

Can you help me?
Thank you.

We have reported this behavior to the development team. It should be fixed in one of the future updates.

Meanwhile, we recommend using the Storage > Import method. Alternatively, you can try giving the program a minute to reload the storage after you run it and before pressing F5.

• 3 months later...

This has been happening to us for quite some time now.  We store our inventory files on a network share so everyone can access them.  Yesterday I created a new storage on my local hard drive.  TNI has been running fine since so I believe the issue is TNI accessing a network shared storage.

Hello,

Thanks for your message.

You are right. The program does not provide any special mechanisms for simultaneous operation (simultaneous editing in particular). Therefore, while all users can read the information from the same storage, only one user should edit it to avoid critical errors. I hope that we’ll be able to improve this aspect in the future.