Logon script import issues...?

Hi - evaluating TNI in a small organisation at the moment, but having some weird issues with the importing via logon script files function.

The logon script is creating the files and some import (and delete) okay, but others are "processed" but not imported nor deleted...they "seem" to relate to assets not previously listed in TNI, so I was wondering if it's possible that the import process isn't able to create a new asset record in the database, but only able to update existing records? To test this, I created a new storage folder and the previously ignored inventory imports worked immediately...

So there was nothing wrong with the import files, so why weren't they being imported? Anywhere I can look to see if any errors were created during the import process?

BTW - I'm running this on Windows Server 2012 Standard x64...

Thanks, Nick

Hi,

No, import process is able both to update existing and create new records, of course. This issue seems to be related to hardware similarity detection (the program uses some hardware identifiers to distinguish new unique assets from existing assets). In "Options - Scanner" there is an option "Distinguish assets" which defaults to "By hardware". Try to set it to "By network name and domain" (provided that your computer names don't duplicate) and try the import again and see if it helps.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the reply (didn't notice it until today!)...unfortunately that change hasn't made any difference...some of the logon script-generated inventory files are imported but around 10 are simply ignored...

If this was an issue with hardware similarity detection, surely it would still import all the files it would just create some duplicate devices from the files it has failed to recognise as already logged in the inventory?

It's actually leaving files in the folder that are not imported.

Thanks, Nick

• 2 weeks later...

No, the manual import fails as well, although there's a pop-up from the system tray icon saying the import completed successfully...?

I've checked all the inventory files that are not being imported and they are machines that do not yet exist within the storage database.

I've only got 3 days left on the trial now - can this be extended please?

Could the issue be related to the trial version in some way?

Thanks, Nick

Okay - the problem appears to be that the trial has a limitation of 50 devices, and the scans are picking up the switches, wireless APs, printers. IP phones etc and so I'm running out of licenses for the PCs and servers...

• Is it possible to flag an asset as "ignore" for the purposes of inventory - for example I'm not bothered at this stage about the 25 or so IP handsets, so would prefer them to not take up valid license "slots".

Thanks, Nick

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, it's likely that the issue has been caused by exceeding the assets limitation. Unfortunately there is no way to exclude specific devices from the scan. But it's possible to add specific IP addresses as exceptions to the scanner and save them for future scans:

https://docs.softinventive.com/tni/user-manual/network-scanning/adding-scan-tasks/

By the way, devices which cannot be scanned by any of the protocols (including SNMP) do not take up license slots, there can be unlimited number of them (so called non-scanned and custom assets; you can see their number on the status bar under the network tree).

P.S. You can send an inquiry to extend your trial period here.

P.P.S. You can follow the topics on the forum to get notifications about replies to your email.